The Michigan Court of Appeals recently ruled on a case in which a landlord of residential property did not have a valid rental permit as required by a local ordinance.
In addition to our estate planning and probate work, we also work on real estate and business law matters. If you're in the process of buying or selling a home, or maybe you're starting your own business, give Terri a call today at (586) 783-8350.
Real Estate - Commercial Property for LeaseAt Legal Strategies, we recognize that buying or selling real estate is one of the biggest financial commitments that our clients ever make. That is why we are right by our client’s side to see that all the details are handled properly.
If you are buying or selling a home, even if you have a real estate agent to assist you, we can verify that all of the paperwork is done correctly. If you contact us before you sign a purchase agreement, we can often add language to the agreement that will protect you at the time of the closing.
If you are assisting a family member with a loan to buy a home, or to redeem a home that is in foreclosure, we can draft all of the documents that are necessary. You may need a loan agreement and a mortgage or proof that there is a land contract between the parties. There is nothing sadder than seeing a family torn apart over loan details that are “forgotten” or payments that are delinquent, because no one took the time to “get it in writing”.
If you are a landlord of residential property, it is imperative that you have an attorney on your side from the beginning of the relationship. The Michigan laws were written to give protection to tenants, not to landlords. If the written lease agreement does not contain certain “magic” language required by Michigan law, you may have difficulty evicting a tenant who has not paid his rent!
We are also available to assist clients who are buying, selling or leasing commercial property. We are familiar with all the documents that will be involved in the purchase, sale, lease or financing of your commercial building and can work with your lender, real estate broker, buyer or seller, to make sure that all issues are anticipated, and documented, before the closing date.
For contractors who provide building and remodeling services, we can teach you how to protect your payments with construction liens – one of the most powerful and least used weapons at your disposal. If you do not have the staff to do the liens in-house, we are available to file and follow-up on the strict deadlines that govern liens.
Please call us to discuss whether you could benefit from any of the following services. We are happy to meet with you either in our office or the comfort of your own home.:
- Review of your purchase agreements for buying or selling real estate
- Negotiating or revising the purchase agreement
- Drafting deeds, mortgages, land contracts and other closing documents
- Reviewing or creating lease agreements for commercial or residential property
- Educating the residential landlord about the hidden dangers of leasing property
- Providing the residential landlord with the legal documents necessary to create the landlord-tenant relationship
- Teaching the landlord how to handle an eviction procedure
- Filing construction liens and following up on their enforcement
Corporate / Business Law
At Legal Strategies, we know that starting, or owning, your own business can be one of the most exciting, and stressful, times of your life. Our first priority is to answer all of your questions and to correct any misinformation that you have received. Only after we help you build a strong knowledge base will we work with you to make sound decisions about your business.
We will work with you to discuss what your plans for your business are and how best to move you toward that goal. We will help you decide which entity you should use for your business. We will discuss the agreements that you may need to put in place between the owners of the business and to describe how the business will be managed and conducted. We can also help you anticipate and plan for an “exit” strategy, in case owners want to leave the business, or are forced to leave through death, disability, divorce or a bankruptcy.
We will help you foresee the agreements you may need to create for your customers, employees and subcontractors, so that the obligations of each party are clearly defined and leaves no room for future disagreements or misunderstanding. We will make sure you are protected if an employee or contractor leaves your employ, so that he cannnot steal your confidential information, customers or remaining employees.
At Legal Strategies, we are available to provide the following services. We are happy to meet with you either in our office or the comfort of your own home.:
- Articles of Incorporation (for a new corporation)
- Articles of Organization (for a new limited liability company)
- By-Laws (for a corporation)
- Operating Agreement (for an limited liability company)
- Buy Sell Agreements between the owners
- Agreements to buy or sell a corporation or limited liability company
- Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Non-Competition Agreements
- Dissolutions and Liquidations
- Employment Agreements
- Annual Meeting Minutes
- Annual Board of Director Meeting Minutes
- Officer and Director Resolutions (to borrow money, etc.)
- Other Agreements and Contracts Needed to Conduct the Business, such as purchase orders, invoices, subcontracts, etc.